For the Chicken Rollatini:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp pesto sauce
- A few slices of Mozzarella cheese
- Balsamic Vinegar
- cooking twine.
1. You need to pound the chicken to about 1/8-1/4 thickness. The best way to do this either a)wrap your butting board in plastic wrap. Place one chicken breast in the center. Cover the chicken with an additional piece. or B) place chicken in a gallon sized ziploc bag and zip up. To evenly pound the chicken, start from the center of the chicken and work your way out. Repeat for 2nd breast.*note- if you are using a ziploc bag this can be tricky when the chicken becomes too big for the bag.
2. Take the tbsp of pesto sauce and spread on the chicken.
3. Add a slice of the mozzarella cheese. If you are slicing cheese by hand, try to make it as thin as possible. Don't add too much or it becomes impossible to roll.
4. Tie with cooking twine.
6. When ready to serve garnish with Bruschetta and a drizzle of Balsamic vinegar.
My chicken was not thin enough. I spent probably 30 minutes pounding chicken with a frying pan (I don't have a meat pounder) while my roommate was watching T.V. So I probably should have gone a bit longer on both. My other mistake was using fresh Buffalo mozzarella cheese. When I checked up on the chicken, most of the cheese had melted out because it's like 80% water. I would used a sturdier mozzarella for this or perhaps skips the cheese in the middle and add it ontop halfway through cooking.
Also, the bruschetta was very good! It will probably be my go to recipe.
I was very happy with this meal and I'll keep working on perfecting it.