Pages

Monday, September 29, 2008

Fruit Pie

This weekend I went home to celebrate my sisters 18th birthday. I wish I brought my camera to post the massive amounts of food. Since my sister loves eating healthy, there was a lot of fruit at the party, ergo I brought home a lot of fruit. I didn't want the fruit to go bad, because I know I tend to have a habit of forgetting I have fruit. So I tried to make something healthy. Here it goes:
---------------------------------------------------

Cream Cheese & Yogurt Fruit Pie
Filling:
  • 1 oz package of cream cheese
  • 1 - 1.5 cup fat free yogurt
  • 1-1.5 cup confectionery sugar
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg

Crust:

I tried this recipe. I was stingy on the cookies so put a layer of non crushed cookies at the bottom and added the crust that I mangled on top.

Fruit:
Kiwis, Strawberries, Grapes, Anything you can think of!

1. Make the crust accordingly. If I make this again I'm just going to buy a premade graham cracker crust. I think it would taste awesome.

2. In a large bowl, mix the filling ingredients. It should have a pudding-like consistency. When the crust comes out and is cooled, pour in the filling. Add your fruit on top. Sprinkle some cinnamon for decoration.. and awesome taste



OVERALL: Again, wow. The filling is really awesome. It has a wonderful flavor of vanilla with a little zing of lemon. The texture is creamier than yogurt but still light enough that you don't feel heavy after eating. When you are making it, make sure you taste the filling. I wasn't sure on the measurements as far as the Confectionery sugar and yogurt because I was adding yogurt if the mixture was too sweet and sugar if it wasn't sweet enough. But I hope this is healthy enough that my sister would eat this :)

Some other ideas, that I had half way through making this is maybe just having cookies on the bottom and the filling would soak up in the cookies? Sounds awesome to me.

----------

On a completely unrelated note, I brought back a crock pot. Anyone know any good recipes?

4 comments:

Meg said...

This looks delicious. I may have to make this for my friend's birthday this week!

Enghorn said...

OH MY GAWSH THAT LOOKS YUMMY.

Sorry about that. Fruit and cream does that to me.

Wandering Coyote said...

I used to make a Weight Watchers version of this that was pretty good. Yours looks way better, though!

Enghorn said...

This is unrelated, and extremely late in the game, but I was wondering. Is this pie the graphic for your banner/title thing?