Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Orange Carrots

Orange Carrots
Tyler Florence

  • 1 bunch young carrots, with tops (Baby carrots worked fine. I used enough so no carrots were overlapping. I was only cooking for one)
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 orange, zested and halved (I used1/4 cup Orange Juice because I didn't have any oranges!)
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon


Directions: Cut off all but 1-inch of the carrot tops, leaving a little green. Put the carrots in a large shallow pan, add the oil, and season with salt and pepper. Turn to coat the carrots. Stick them in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the carrots are fork-tender.
In the meantime, melt the butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Swirl the pan around and cook until the butter begins to become brown and nutty. Squeeze in the juice from the orange halves, add the zest, brown sugar, cumin and cinnamon and continue to cook for 2 minutes or until syrupy.
Remove the carrots from the oven, drizzle the orange brown butter over the carrots and serve.


OVERALL: Damn these were good. I might have used a bit too much Orange Juice, but still I loved using the Cumin & Cinnamon together. These aren't too sweet. My only complain was that I might have used too much OJ & therefore the butter was a little on that watery (or OJ-y) side. I will definitely make this for friends and family. Plus the baby carrots are so damn cute!

No comments: