Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Catalina Chicken

So this is a recipe my mom made for my sister and I when we were little.

Catalina Chicken

3 Frozen Chicken Breast (You could use split breast or thighs as well, I just don't like the dark meat)
1 cup Catalina Dressing
1 cup Apricot Preservatives
1 package French Onion Soup Mix

OPTIONAL
1/2 thinly sliced potatoes (i'd suggest Yukon gold potatoes)
1/2 cup sweet onion/pearl onions

1. Now there are 2 options to prepare this meal. I remember my mom would bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. I opted for the slow cooker.

2. Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker/crock pot. Set on Low and cook for 12 hours OR you can do what I did and set on low for about 6 hours, then switched to high for about 3 hours.




OVERALL: Well, I stupidly added water to the mixture, completely forgetting that the water from the frozen chicken would add to the sauce. So mine came out kinda soupy. Next time I'll add maybe a little bit of water. (I added about 2/3 cup, D'oh!)

But the flavor is awesome and the chicken shreds apart, and it's so yummy. Brings back childhood memories. I should warn that the chicken comes out a bit dry, but it doesn't bother me too much, it might turn out moister with dark meat. But my picky roommate liked it so that has to mean something.

---------

4 comments:

Enghorn said...

It looks delicious, and I would wonder if you could make a sauce out of all that extra juice, if you did it right. Also, what would be said about using stock or possibly wine instead of water as that thing you "stupidly added"?

Aleve said...

Dude, how big of a crockpot did you use? I want to try this one as I have been itching to use my slow cooker, but mine is half-sized.

Meg said...

What a wonderful recipe! I love Catalina dressing!

A said...

@enghorn - When my mom use to bake it, it came out as a very thick sauce, so I only "ruined" it because it was watery. But yes, you could spoon in over the chicken, I would add chicken broth for flavoring-- not sure about wine.

@Andy - It's a very small crock pot, its also very old. Uh I can post a picture, but it's not big at all maybe about 2.5 quarts? I can post a picture if you'd like.

@meg- I've never had catalina dressing on anything else.