Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Acorn Squash

Inspired by Tyler Florence's recipe for roasted Acorn Squash, I went out to try one. Believe it or not the store didn't have any, so instead i got Golden Acorn Squash- not REALLY sure of the difference...

Yesterday, I noticed this months food challenge was acorn squash, orange, and sage. So I decided to play along with that, as well as making the original recipe I saw. Funnily enough, we didn't have oranges.

Roasted (Golden) Acorn Squash

1/2 Acorn Squash
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup brown sugar

1. I par boiled the squash for about 8 minutes so it softened up.
2. Melt the butter, adding in the sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
3. Heat the oven to 400. Paint the squash with the butter mixture.
4. Cook for 20 minutes, until tender.

Roasted Acorn Squash Version 2
1/2 Acorn squash
1/2 stick melted butter
2 cloves of chopped garlic
1 tbsp sage
I'm pretty sure you could add some orange zest/orange concentrate for flavor. About 1/2 orange zested or 2 tbsp orange concentrate. You might wanna 86 the garlic then.

1. Same procedure as above, only combine sage and orange zest/concentrate to the butter.


Overall: SO I've never had squash before and I probably won't have it again. The sage one was really bad. Never make that. The first one wasn't bad, but being that I never had squash, the texture really threw me off. Very stringy and the strings were hard. Maybe I didn't cook it enough? It seriously needs to be like pureed for me to try this again.

3 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Good for you for trying something new. I'm not a squash fan at all, though I do like spaghetti squash - it's not mushy (which I hate) and has a very mild flavour.

Meg said...

I prefer it pureed too! I would probably like the sweet version better.

Enghorn said...

I've never liked any kind of squash. And not just because it sounds terrible (YOU WANT SOME SQUASH!!!! No, IT'S BEEN SQUISHED 10 Points if you can name who said that)

I think the only real difference is color, most acorn squash is green and golden is....gold.

This recipe looks interesting, although I'm not sure about the flavor combo...

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/bluesquash.htm